Sorry I have been a bit lax is posting! We started chopping corn and are almost complete. In fact, all we have left to chop is the strips that we have to leave in the field for the crop insurance adjuster. The rain faucet shut off in early July, causing our corn to dry out very fast. Very poor corn this year, a late wet spring, and then drying out in the summer combined to make this one of the worst cropping years that anyone can remember.
I shot some video of chopping, so look for that soon. For now here are a few pictures:
We tried something new for silage this year: a drive over pile. Basically instead of having walls like a normal bunker silo, it is just a flat pad, and you make a pile that you can drive over all sides of.
Covering is a labor intensive, we had 12 people involved in covering this pile, and it still took us 4 hours to cover! Each of the rings is 1/2 of a semi tire. They weigh about 30 pounds each, and are all placed by hand on top of the plastic!
The pile ended up being about 260 feet long, by 95 feet wide, and 15 feet tall in the center.
Now we wait to start combining!